Black Tie Affair

Anyone who knows me knows that I love celebrities, awards shows and celebrity news. So this weekend while watching the Golden Globes I spotted one of my favorite actresses, Zooey Deschanel, wearing a very fun looking manicure. I couldn't see exactly what was going on since it was an just a glimpse during an audience shot but the next day on ENews they were talking about her adorable nails. Heres a picture from her instagram so everyone knows what I'm talking about http://instagr.am/p/hiuYs/ Anyway she had the cutest little tuxedos painted on to her nails. They seemed simple enough so I decided to give it a try.
I started with 2 coats of OPI Alpine Snow, one of my favorite whites, then I topped it with 1 coat of Seche Vite and waited patiently for it to dry.


Then I taped off the tips and painted them with Finger Paints Black Expressionism.


I obviously used a dotting tool and the same Finger Paints black to do the buttons. My real issue came with how to paint the bow ties. Initially I tried to use a nail art brush, but I just do not have the artistic skill so I was mostly smearing black all over. Luckily thanks to the layer of SV I was able to remove the black and without taking off the white. I then settled on using the dotting tool to make the bow ties as well. Its hard to describe how it did it, and they didn't turn out perfect so I'm sure there's a better way, but basically I just made and H-shape with the dots and it turned out pretty much how I imagined.



Overall I was pretty impressed with myself! If I was more skilled I could've probably done better but I liked them. As a bonus I've also included a picture of my nails from the other day. I used Finger Paints Black Expressionism again with China Glaze Matte top coat. Then I taped off the tips and used SV which resulted in matte nails with glossy tips. The photo is low quality but I still think the nails look pretty nice.

~Nailed by Jen~

3 comments

Maggie from Private School Polished | January 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Very cute! Love them! The black matte/glossy nails are cute too!

fingers | January 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

This is really cool-I recently did the matte and shiny black funky like you have there

iheartmakeup | January 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I really love both of these designs! I have had a lack of ideas lately and this gave me some inspiration!

Post a Comment